ACC 120 - Payroll Accounting
1 Credit Hours
This course provides up-to-date instructions in the preparation of payroll records and tax returns. Students will be responsible for a practice set which includes all payroll activities for a small business including weekly payroll, computation and entries, and quarterly and annual tax returns using actual federal and state forms.
Prerequisite(s): COM 061 or ESL 060
Semesters Offered: Spring
RATIONALE OF COURSE
This course provides the student with an introduction to the laws and accounting principles relating to payroll. All accounting students and most business students would benefit from a general knowledge of payroll rules and regulations. Students will learn and practice the knowledge and skill necessary for success in the workplace.
- Explain the need for payroll and personnel records.
- Compute wages and salaries.
- Calculate and report payroll deductions for FICA.
- Calculate and report payroll deductions for federal income taxes.
- Compute miscellaneous payroll deductions.
- Compute unemployment compensation taxes.
- Analyze and journalize payroll transactions.
- Process payroll records and returns.
- Analyze common payroll and personnel procedures for controlling payroll costs.
[Add to Portfolio]