Science and Mathematics Division
The General Science Certificate Program is designed to provide students with foundational knowledge and skills in the sciences, covering the basics of biology, chemistry, environment, mathematics, and physics. This background can be used as an entry into the Science Transfer Associate in Science degree, into a science related degree at a 4-year college, or into employment where general science knowledge and laboratory skills are needed.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Identify how living organisms function, reproduce, and evolve.
- Explain the structures of atoms and compounds and the basic principles of chemical reactions and properties.
- Express how humans impact the environment.
- Describe the laws of motion, energy, electricity, and sound waves.
- Demonstrate effective basic laboratory skills in biology, chemistry, and physics.
- Apply mathematical operations to solve problems in biology, chemistry, and physics.
- Write reports, tabulate data, and create professional presentations.
Academic Certificates consist of courses that are imbedded in degree programs which prepare students for advanced courses or are subject to a selective admission process. Academic certificates may be awarded to students upon completion of a defined course sequence and/or prior to their degree completion.
Gainful Employment Information
Gainful employment information is intended to provide students with better information about the effectiveness of college programs in preparing students for careers. Information provided includes estimated program costs and time needed to complete the program, financing options and related careers.
View our latest gainful employment information on our website.