The Medical Office Specialist Certificate Program is designed to provide students who already possess advanced secretarial skills with the competencies necessary to obtain employment as medical secretaries or medical transcriptionists. All coursework may later be applied to an Associate in Applied Science degree if the student desires. Prior secretarial experience is required for entry into this program.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate effective written communication skills in writing and speaking in a business environment.
- Apply math operations to solve fundamental business problems.
- Apply basic language skills associated with the parts of speech, sentence formations, numerical expression, capitalization, punctuation and word division rules to business correspondence.
- Recognize the changing nature of technology and adapt to new equipment and procedures while retaining the most appropriate traditional office practices.
- Use word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, and Internet skills to complete office tasks.
- Demonstrate a high degree of accuracy in applying correct grammar, usage and style when transcribing documents from dictated audio tapes that use medical terminology.
- Proofread and edit typed/keyed copy, including transcription of machine dictation, with a high degree of accuracy and correctness.
- Utilize effective human relations skills in business situations.
- Define medical terminology used in healthcare delivery.
- Use appropriate medical office procedures in areas of medical ethics, electronic health records management, telephone communications, incoming and outgoing mail, appointment scheduling, and simulations projects.
Proficiency Certificates are certificates which are designed to prepare students for specific occupations and allow the student to enter the world of work with a targeted set of skills valuable in the designated occupational area.
Gainful Employment Information
Gainful employment information is intended to provide students with better information about the effectiveness of college programs in preparing students for careers. Information provided includes estimated program costs and time needed to complete the program, financing options and related careers.
View our latest gainful employment information on our website.