This Culinary Arts Program prepares students to become certified cooks. It is designed to prepare students to take the national competency test administered by the American Culinary Federation (ACF). The program also prepares students to take the ServeSafe certification examination. Please refer to selective admissions procedures.
Upon successful completion of the program, the student should be able to:
- Create integrated documents, worksheets, databases, and presentations suitable for coursework, professional purposes, and personal use using personal productivity software.
- Apply the fundamental health and safety principles of nutrition.
- Safely use hand tools and equipment in a food service environment.
- Apply skills in the preparation of salads, dressings, dips, sandwiches and proper set up of work stations.
- Apply skills in production of vegetables and fruits.
- Prepare meats, poultry and seafood in a variety of cooking techniques.
- Prepare eggs in a variety of styles, as well as breakfast meats, quick breads and starches.
- Apply knowledge of ingredients and mixing methods for a variety of baked goods.
- Produce frozen desserts, tarts, fruit desserts, decorated cakes and meringues.
- Prepare aspics, forcemeats, pates, mousse and marinades for use as decoration as well as consumption.
- Apply entry-level skills in menu design, food cost, labor cost and purchasing fundamentals.
- Apply the use of HACCP (Hazard Analysis-Critical Control Point) as an everyday occurrence in food production.
Proficiency Certificates are certificates which are designed to prepare students for specific occupations and allow the student to enter the world of work with a targeted set of skills valuable in the designated occupational area.
Gainful Employment Information
Gainful employment information is intended to provide students with better information about the effectiveness of college programs in preparing students for careers. Information provided includes estimated program costs and time needed to complete the program, financing options and related careers.
View our latest gainful employment information on our website.