Apr 07, 2020
BUS 105 - Business English
3 Credit Hours
This course is designed for students to review and strengthen technical English skills such as grammar, sentence structure, word usage, and punctuation.
Prerequisite(s): COM 021 and COM 040 , COM 041 , or ESL 040
Semesters Offered: Fall/Spring
RATIONALE OF COURSE
Excellent business English skills are primary requirements of an employee in today's workplace. The ability to edit documents is of primary importance. This course provides the student with a foundation for other courses, which rely on excellent English usage.
Upon successful completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Identify parts of speech and understand how they function in sentences.
- Write complete sentences avoiding fragments, comma splices, and run-ons.
- Use nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, conjunctions, prepositions, and interjections correctly in written communication.
- Develop proficiency in punctuation, capitalization, and number style skills.
- Demonstrate realistic applications of current usage and style in today's workplace.
- Demonstrate vocabulary, spelling, and editing skills.
- Recognize and create professional business messages that demonstrate correct formats and ideas expressed in clear, concise, and correct English.
- Utilize correct use of subject-verb agreement.
- Determine correct singular and plural possessive form of nouns.
Add to Portfolio